View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
As an e-book writer, e-book reader, and an iPaq user, I do not have a problem reading everything on my PDA. I have seen the Sony, Kindle and Iliad readers, and I have nothing bad to say about them (other than, perhaps, the cost). But for me, as the article suggested, being able to read without another device suits me fine. I already have the iPaq with me all the time, and I'm comfortable using its screen all day long... why not read on it?

I wouldn't say articles like this harm the e-book industry. They may manage to put a dent in sales of dedicated readers... on the other hand, they may be getting new people to read on their PDAs and phones, where they did not before, because the article lets them know it's do-able (and, incidentally, usually cheaper than the Sony or Kindle package).
Well if I may quote the inventor of the internet -- "I Agree."

Thought the article was a direct attack on dedicated eBook readers, like you I don't see it as a negative. Folks that like their eBook Readers will continue to own them and folks that want a multi device will use their phone/PDA as such.

What I do see is with the increase of mobilephone readers, the demand for eBooks will increase which will also benefit the eBook Reader industry as publishers will start delivering more content in electronic format.

I think however when more phones like the Readius come out THEN there will be a dent in the eBook industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giedre View Post
For a couple of years I read on my pda phone and it was nice, but nothing compares to an e-reader. Another thing...battery life on a pda style phone! While I think it's great that phones can do all these different things nowadays, by the time you're done reading your book, or playing several games, etc...your battery is gone! Then how does one make phone calls??
Yep I agree here too... kind of. I had(have) a Samsung i730 Windows Moible (WM) phone. The form factor on that phone was bar none the best experience in electronic reading. Mostly because MobiPocket did such a fantastic job of optimizing their reader for the WM OS.
The only drawbacks and they where big was the screen quality in broad daylight and the batter life.

I have a BlackBerry Storm now and those issues are no more the BB Storm screen is brilliant in broad daylight. And after using it heavily throughout the day I still had 1/2 the battery life.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 01-06-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Correcet grammer
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote