View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
kindlegen is creating a dual-MOBI.
I assume you mean it is bigger than a dual-MOBI that calibre creates. (Rather than being bigger than a standalone AZW3 which is just duh. )

Try using the undocumented
Code:
-dont_append_source
switch to kindlegen -- by default it creates a MOBI that has both mobi7 && KF8... and also the original source files, because reasons.
For kindlegen.ini that would be the "donotaddsource = False True" mentioned in the OP.

Also consider creating the standalone AZW3 and MOBI, and sideloading each one as and when needed.
Unless you intend to use Amazon PDOCs of course.
I changed the donotaddsource and azw3_only settings and now I get a .mobi file smaller than that generated by ebook-convert and a .azw3 file that is larger. I will confirm that these look good on my kindles and then will start using the plugin.

On a related topic, is there a way to improve the file name created? I left the mobi_file setting blank, so it used the title as a starting point. As this was a short story, the title was in double-quotes which were translated to underscores. The embedded blanks in the title were kept in the file name. My preference in this matter is to elide the double-quotes and translate the embedded spaces to underscores in the file name. It would be nice if this could be automated by the plug-in. I also normally convert embedded apostrophes to hyphens in the file name. I imagine a more general translate table might be needed for foreign languages titles to file names.

At this point I will simply rename the files manually, but it would be nice to automate it.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 11-05-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: fix typo
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote