View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #421
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Bookerly LCD vs eInk

I see someone asked above about the differences between the LCD and eInk versions of Bookerly. Since I got access to both I took a look. There are some very minor changes in the base contour of the glyphs:

but the main change is in the hinting used, with the eInk version hinted to render much bolder:

Speaking about hinting, I tried adding malformed hints to Fontin which would distort the characters. On ADE you can just see the effects of the bad hinting, but I couldn't see any change in rendering on the Kindle, meaning that (as we should expect by now) the Kindle doesn't use hinting on embedded fonts (example pics attached below).

On a 300dpi device this isn't a big deal. Anyone who's bought an ePub where the publisher's lazily embedded Charis to cover all the glyphs will know that bad hinting is worse than no hinting -- Charis is notorious for its badly-speced alignment zones that cause cobblestoning.

[Edit]After posting this I realised I'd been using a font with CFF outlines and Type1 hinting for the test of embedded font hinting, so went back and manipulated a different font that used TrueType (quadratic) outlines and TT hinting (which is completely different). This did show a difference, indicating that the hinting engine is not actually turned off for embedded fonts, but only works for those with TT contours. In retrospect, given the differences shown above, I should have tried this initially.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCDEink1.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	142061   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCDEink2.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	142062   Click image for larger version

Name:	hintADE.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	142063   Click image for larger version

Name:	hintFontin.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	142064  

Last edited by charleski; 09-17-2015 at 04:58 PM.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote