View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Actually, I'm a Blackberry Mobi reader and considering upgrading to an ebook reader. For me, I like the idea of having my books with me all the time for unexpected down time (Blackberry), and having the ereader for reading at home, or vacations, etc. Having used my Blackberry exclusively for ereading I can tell you that it doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm weird. It DOES, however, take about a chapter to "adjust". I read strictly for entertainment so don't need to be able to annotate and rarely read books that have footnotes, etc.

The attraction to having a reader on the phone is simply having a book when you have down time, especially unplanned down time. Or when you don't want to haul several different paperback books (vacation). I've read entire books on my Blackberry and enjoyed them just fine. I hit my space bar when it's time to scroll down further and I get a good flow going. One thing about downpaging on a Blackberry...it's a smooth scroll. The page doesn't "turn" or blank out. You simply read to the bottom, hit the space bar, then move back to the top for the next page. I'm a fast reader, too.

I definitely think the majority of posters on this site are in a group that maybe isn't named yet. I go through phases where I'll check out 13 books from the library and read them all in the 3 week period of time, but then go weeks without reading anything significant. I'm not sure if I'm considered avid (that seems overkill), but I think that makes me a little bit more than casual. However there are some here that when I read how many books they have, carry with them at any given time, etc...avid doesn't quite seem adequate.

So those are my thoughts. I am waiting for the ebook industry to come just a little bit further (I think) before I jump in. For example, more stuff available via "libraries" for checking out. I'm close to ready though, and reading on my cell phone got me here. I say I'm holding out, but don't be surprised if you start seeing me around here more.
French is offline   Reply With Quote