View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #88
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
When Oprah first started the "book club" I found that I had already read and enjoyed many of the recommended books, so I followed the list for a while and when a book popped up that I had not read, I'd get around to reading it. Then after reading a few books that I did not enjoy, I stopped following the Oprah reading list.

I'm always glad to get recommendations for good books because I tend to get into a rut when reading....reading the same genre or the same authors over and over again. Getting recommendations from people, magazines, news papers and, yes, talk show hosts makes for a more interesting reading list and expands my mind somewhat.

For a few years, I was a literacy volunteer and I worked with a wonderful lady teaching her to read. When she got to a place where she could actually read something, she wanted to go to the bookstore and buy some harlequin romance novels....I don't think much of harlequin romance novels, but hey! guess what! she was reading a book and that was a new and wonderful experience.

As far as I'm concerned anything that promotes books and authors is a win to me. Anything that gets people reading books, no matter how heavy or light the book may be is a good thing. So if someone watches Oprah and is motivated to go get one of Oprah's book club books, that's great. I, personally, may not enjoy the books, but reading is reading is reading and anyone or anything that promotes reading is good.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote