View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #154
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post

I'm re-reading your posts for my 100th time and I just cannot understand how the hell you defend Kobo. And I am specially astonished because you are a coder yourself...
I didn't think I was defending Kobo, more attacking the attitude here that JSWolf typified. The reason for replying to his post was that he was complaining about a new feature that I knew he had not actually tested. That is very typical of him and everyone else here.

As to being a coder myself, that just makes me understand the issues. As an example, yesterday another team member reported a problem in the code I am developing. When I looked, I had missed an edge case. I fixed that but when I tried testing it using the front-end, it didn't work. Back to the other team member to demonstrate and everything was OK. He then watched what I did. I was being lazy and chose the minimum number of options. He had been concentrating so much on the complicated cases that he had forgotten to test the simplest. So, yes, I understand the type of issues that Kobo are having.
Quote:
The pdf file that 3.17. cannot manage because its thumbnail generation causes a reboot is just a 29 Mb one...
And the one that kill it for me is only 7MB. So it obviously isn't size, it's something else about the PDFs. Until Kobo has a copy of every PDF in the world to test with, they can't be sure it works.
Quote:

And this failure happens 100% of the time. So if you just have one file like this one, BANG!!!!, you are dead. You won't be able to browse your Library because each time you reach the page containing that file the device will restart...

So Davidfor, you are wrong. Your son will probably trigger it if he has scanned comics or fanzines in his device...
Of course, that would require that my son had those type of books or an interest in them. Go back and read what I said. I was VERY careful in my wording. Do I think my son is a typical user of these type of device? Probably not. But, I think he is a lot closer to typical than I am.
Quote:
AFAIK, Kobo says that they support pdfs. So they MUST support EVERY kind of pdfs. I don't care if they are a collection of photos, OCR text, AutoCAD digitalized graphics or whatever. Specially when we are not talking about torture-test pdfs...
Of course they should support every type of PDF. Can they? Maybe if they have enough time and examples. Will they concentrate on the unusual? Probably not.

As to not supporting a "collection of photos", it isn't as simple as that. I created a PDF using calibre that was just JPEGs. It didn't cause a problem. But a much bigger one did. Or maybe it was some difference about the jpegs.
Quote:
This is not a 1GB pdf file or something like that, (and this is not any of the two issues described in the pdf performace thread). It's a damn less than 30 MB file which only has one particularity: it's just a collection of images with no text...

Davidfor, NTFS is supposed to support files up to 16TB (approximately). Would you defend Microsoft if one system choked with a 100GB file because that kind of files are not "common"? Or would you defend them if they choked with file names containing "ñ" when they are supposed to support Unicode?
Yes, I would complain. But, I would also give them a chance to either explain it and fix it. Not that I'm sure this is a good example. As far as I can tell, all file systems have some exceptions that they don't support. That's one of the reason there are so many different file systems around.
Quote:
And I don't give a damn if less than 1% people read scanned comics, Kobo say they support pdfs, so therefore DO IT!!!

WTH! I myself build some computation Excel spreadsheets (with VBA macros in some cases) in my work... And I had NEVER EVER suffered an issue remotely similar to this one and you can imagine which is my Q&A team...
Congratulations on being able to set the specs on what is needed, testing them and then deciding if the results are suitable.
Quote:
More over I cannot defend Kobo in any way when the solution is as easy as increasing the threshold time...
Great, lets increase the threshold time. To what? 20 seconds? A minute? An hour? There is almost no way they can get a time that handles 100% of the "taking a long time" cases without it being to long for the "really has hung" cases. So, they make a compromise. And any compromise is guaranteed to be wrong in someones opinion. And in case you didn't read the last part of my post, I did express the opinion that Kobo has gotten this wrong.
Quote:
And please, Davidfor, test the Upgrade Dictionary process I've also posted because I am 95% sure that you get a reboot after it. (I cannot test it anymore because I've patched my 3.17 installation).
I have vague memory that someone reported a restart when downloading the dictionaries. As I have downloaded all the dictionaries on all my devices and didn't see a restart, I can't back that up. Or did I misremember?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote