View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #2311
xor_
Connoisseur
xor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmosxor_ has become one with the cosmos

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Not sure if everyone at GitHub will be accepting about this approach, but if it does address the power consumption issue that has been so hard to verify and pin down, they should welcome it as at least a temporary measure.
I'm kind of ambivalent about it. From a usability POV, having easy access to a light-toggle is nice. And I actually missed that, even on my Glo devices that had a hardware light button. But maybe that's just my pet peeve, since I don't like to press physical buttons.

The shutdown function shouldn't be all that important if sleep mode works well. But when I had battery drainage, this was something I really wanted.

The other aspect is, while on my H2O two additional icons look fine to me, I can see that on the devices with a smaller screen that might be too much. I used one additional icon on the Glo for some time, and that didn't feel overloaded to me. But then you'd have to decide which one. Some might prefer the light toggle, others the shutdown.

I'm not sure whether there's enough general interest to try to get this into the official build. And that's fine with me. This is a trivial little hack that enhances usability for me. Thanks to the free software culture, this is possible. And if a few people find it helpful, the better. I might also make a one-icon version if people want that. But I don't feel like maintaining different variations longer-term. (OTOH, the file readermenu.lua isn't very likely to change that frequently).

Last edited by xor_; 08-12-2015 at 07:16 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote