View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
And if a person is not in favor of being spied upon, then why voluntarily participate? It just encourages them.
My guess would be that people voluntarily participate because they want the free advance copy of the book. Have you ever read an ARC?

And on a larger topic, do you use Facebook, GoodReads, Amazon, Gmail or a cell phone? Do you use Ghostery, NoScript or (bettery yet) TOR? I do use the first batch and I don't use the second batch, because in the end, allowing these companies to know a little bit about me makes life easier.

So long as the company is upfront about what they're doing (and candy.js seems to be), then I don't have a problem.

You posted links to a different article about the ALA and Adobe spying on people's libraries. That's a whole different thing. A much bigger issue than this candy.js flap.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote