View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

I frankly don't see any major device/app manufacturer allowing scripts inside ebooks the kind of autonomy that would be requried to make this sort of thing work "silently" -- that is to say without user approval and/or user interaction. There may be security holes in some EPUB3 reading systems that will let people get away with it for a short time, but the outrage generated by things like this--when they hit the news--will close those holes rather quickly.
I wouldn't either but there is a growing trend towards app-locked ebook systems where this kind of monitoring could already be in play. It might be a revenue booster for Scribd and Oyster, for example.

And if it's not in play, it could be.
As for Adobe, I wouldn't be so sure. There was the kerflufle where ADE was scanning ebook libraries and phoning home in the clear.

Publishers want this data: phone-home wasn't added to the epub3 spec by accident. They can't get it from Amazon but others might be more cooperative come negotiation time. They'll keep trying.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote