View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanourbina View Post
I realize that this thread is quite old, but I have been using InDesign CS6 to produce an ePub with embedded fonts for Kindle and iBooks. (I like to own my software and not rent it, for many reasons). As the originator mentioned, CC does produce ePubs that allow iBooks to display the embedded font correctly, but CS6 does not. I finally figured out why:

CS6 does obfuscate the fonts per the IDPF spec that they specify in the encryption XML document. HOWEVER, before obfuscation, they first compress the font. This is not what the spec calls for (and is probably what they fixed in CC). Thus, in order to use the font produced by CS6 you have to first unobfuscate, then uncompress, and then obfuscate it again (for iBooks). I now have my post-processing script doing this on-the-fly and it works beautifully.
iBooks does not need to have font obfuscated to work. But iBooks does need this silly XML file that you keep hidden in the meta-inf directory to tell iBooks you have embedded fonts. In fact, you don't need to obfuscate fonts at all. WHat you can do is subset them so they won't be of any use outside of your eBook. Calibre does a very nice job subletting both TTF and OTF fonts. You just load your eBook into Calibre, subset the fonts and voila. But before you do that, you have to make sure there is no obfuscating going on.

Now because there are some Readers and programs that do not automatically display embedded fonts (not sure what iBooks does as I have not used it in a very long time because it's a fetid pile of fertilizer), you'll want to put a note into your eBook that it does have embedded fonts and the reader (person reading your book) might want to turn on embedded fonts if the devices or program does not do so by default.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote