View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusMasalar View Post
Hey Jon,

The line length is actually exactly at the recommended settings for optimum web readability (about 90 characters). The footnotes also have handy return links at the end of each of them—you'll notice the "↩" character is a link that takes you right back to where you were in the article. Those work on the browsers I've tested with...are they broken for you?
I'm not sure if you had a look since I adjusted the text sizing/spacing earlier today, so maybe take a second peek to see if you consider this a more comfortable setting for larger screens.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where you got that 90 characters is optimum, but it really isn't. What works better is having 25% space on each side and the rest is the column for the article. This is for a wide screen monitor be it a desktop, laptop or tablet. What you have now works well for a cell phone, but not for a monitor that's HD or higher resolution.

I didn't actually notice the "↩" as being a link to go back. It's not obvious. What would work is recoding all the footnotes so the web browser recognizes the click as a proper link so going back works. No need to remove "↩". when fixing the footnote links.

What I feel you need is a mobile site and a non-mobile site. And for the mobile site, it should have a link at the top to switch to the non-mobile site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote