View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
For the 2016 categories, as a 1st step, can we....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think your original thought has some merit. My gut feel, which I heard last year from others as well, is that part of the reason we are seeing less participation is because this is turning into the Literary Book Club "Lite". I am not bashing the Literary Club, but I don't think the main book club was intended to be that. Not that a specific purpose is really defined.

Here are the categories for 2010 (highest participation) and 2014 (lowest).

Code:
2010                             2012-2015

January:   Science Fiction Second Chance 

February:  Romance         Romance

March:     Nonfiction    Travel/Adventure

April:     Humor              Classics

May:       Classic         Mystery/Thriller

June:      Thriller/Suspense Award Winners

July:      Fantasy (trees/magic) Non-fiction

August:    Free For All         Science Fiction

September: Mystery/Crime Banned/Challenged Books

October:   Horror         Patricia Clark Memorial Library

November:  Science Fiction Foreign (originally non-English)

December:  Classic         Short Stories

If we look at what is now gone vs what we now have:

Removed (-6): Science Fiction (x1), Fantasy, Humor, Free-For-All, Horror, Classic (x1)

Combined (-1): Mystery/Crime and Thriller/Suspense into Mystery/Thriller

Added (+7): Second Chance, Travel/Adventure, Award Winners, Banned/Challenged Books, PCML, Foreign, Short Stories

Same (5): Science Fiction (x1), Non-Fiction, Romance, Classic (x1), Mystery/Thriller

We have taken out 4 months with genre categories (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror and Mystery/Thriller) and added several categories that lean toward "literary books" (Award Winners, Travel/Adventure, Banned/Challenged Books, Foreign). I think the loss of Classic and addition of PCML is about a wash as well as the Second-Chance vs. Free-For-All.

Several of those removed categories were personal favorites. I think a free-for-all month in July would be the perfect balance to January's 2nd chance. There's no need, in my opinion, to restore the second month of classics. Travel/Adventure has never been one of my favorites. Banned Books is a better idea on paper than it is in reality; some of those books should have been banned for being boring. Horror and Fantasy are two more we could consider bringing back. And I see "Foreign" as unnecessary. If a book is good, it should be nominated no matter what the original language. Same for "Patricia Clark Memorial Library". We're already in the habit of using that resource as much as possible. There's no reason to limit ourselves to books that can be found there.

I'm ready for some changes in the categories.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote