View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Exclamation Macro: Old English to New english

Hi,

I'm busy creating a macro which converts old 18th century English into new English. for MS Word.
I have Office 2007 Edition, hopefully it'll work with previous editions as well.
Basically it's just a bunch of 'search and replace' commands for words.

What made me start doing this, is that I'm doing the series of a writer that always has the same spelling errors.
I update old words to newer, when I can, and correct spelling issues with Word where possible.

But that's a lot of work.
So I loaded 50% of the work into a macro, that will convert older words into newer.

It's far from perfect or far from finished,
But if it ever could be finished, it'd probably be a macro of a few MEGS in size...
So it's a work in progress.

Anyone who has old books,and does manual word editing, is encouraged to run this macro.
It should save you at least some hundred words of editing.

The more books I create, the larger the file will be; so during my work I update it regularly.

Apart from not being a list that can change a full book automatically, There are 2 cons to this macro:

1- Every now and then a word can get messed up.
I'd love to hear from anyone using it, which word gets messed up, so I can correct the macro.
2- I am not sure, but I think either the first time you run it,or maybe it is when you have loaded a book for a while and then run it, the macro will give you a popup for every word that needs to be changed.
Those are lots of popups!
You can press the 'Y' knob in the mean time,allowing faster replacing,
However I also had moments when the macro ran without giving popups.
I'm still looking into how I can disable the popups.

I'd suggest to test out the macro on a copy of the text, not on the original!

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: rar OldEng v001.rar (1.8 KB, 461 views)
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote