View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
EnergyLens
Hack
EnergyLens began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite
@ eschwartz
I can't even find the .mbp1/.azw3r/.azw3f files, though I only gave it a squiz.

@ davidfor
I'm really just a hack, and a green one at that.

I do annotate news articles on my devices! Doesn't everyone?

The reason I see volatility with annotations is that I follow a number of blogs that have voluminous commentary, which is constantly expanding. I typically download the "news" feed once a day, and I want to be sure to capture the highlights/annotations from each download of the same blog entry. Then after a period of time I download an anthology of the blog and want to merge all of the highlights back into to anthology. My best hack (and longest bit of python code) was to automate the interleaving of author/moderator responses at the correct positions (directly following) comments which was necessary to make sense of the content when reading on an eReader where it is impossible to scroll back and forth constantly. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249514)

I'd be happy if you were inspired to take any ideas from my annotations hack to extend the Annotations Plugin, because as you say it would be natural to add the generate/export function.

With regards to News Article Annotations, I've noticed that the Annotations plugin works great with annotations from News "books" that I read on my Kobo, but that it doesn't find annotations for News "books" that I read on my Kindle. Why is that?

My long term goal is to enable some serious natural language processing/phrase frequency analysis of my content, initially in the process of capturing content as it is downloaded, then later within arbitrary books in my Calibre database. I'd like to be able to generate Lombardi networks from book bibliographies and other references (URLs/book titles/Authors) I've pulled from web content. Right now I'm just cutting my teeth.

P.S. I lived on several bays around Sydney Harbor for a few years in the late '90s. Wonderful memories of riding the ferries to work every day!
EnergyLens is offline   Reply With Quote