View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
Citation? The only thing I'm aware of is that Amazon shut down Mobipocket as it existed.

We should also note that may not have been Amazon's decision to make.
No, he's right—even if it's not relevant to monopsony discussions (and not like anybody who's been in the ebook game long enough hasn't been burnt by numerous vendors because of DRM).

Amazon sold ebooks before mobipocket/Kindle. I believe they were PDFs. People who hadn't downloaded/updated their purchases by a certain point got burnt. Just like people have been burnt by DRM time and time again by numerous vendors.

I take the fact that Kindle 1 owners can still use their devices to buy and read Kindle content as evidence that Amazon learned a valuable lesson from that early experiment in ebook-retailing concerning customer satisfaction; and applied those lessons appropriately.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote