View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I was really surprised to see that Amazon didn't go with a larger screen as the Voyage seems to be more in the "luxury" line of ereaders, like the Aura HD & H2O.

For my $$, the H2O has the advantage due to the larger screen size.
For my dollars, both screens have the same resolution but the H2O has a larger physical screen.

H2O advantages: I can borrow books from the local library without involving Apprentice Alf and Calibre. The on-board storage is expandable to 36GB (4GB internal and 32GB external). Customizing the Kobo reading experience seems to be easier than customizing the Kindle reading experience -- small items such as being able to remove the smaller font sizes I don't use and making the font sizes increase in even increments. I can purchase an Aura H2O and add a 32GB uSD card for less than the price of a Kindle Voyage (I'm comparing the current Canadian $180 price of the H2O to the American $219 price of the Voyage -- if I did a conversion to Canadian dollars, the price difference jumps to ~$60Cdn.)

Kindle advantages: The Amazon ecosystem is more robust and their customer service seems to be better for American customers. Book choice slightly favours Amazon though Kobo boasts a larger library. More language choices though no Chinese Traditional support.

Sawoffs: Waterproofing is not a big advantage to me since I have not managed to destroy any of my ereaders by getting them wet. IR touch and capacitive touch are mature and capable technologies. Neither offers 802.11ac. Both will work with Calibre. Neither will handle PDF files well going by current devices. Cloud storage for either is a non-issue since I have an old-fashioned preference for keeping my data on my premises. I will admit to having a chuckle when I ran into a Kindle PW2 owner at Starbucks. We were discussing storage and he was of the opinion that he did not need expandable storage since he could use the cloud. Watching him attempting to access his book collection using Starbuck's WiFi was an occasion for humour -- for me at least. The last time I saw speedtest results that slow, I was using a v.32bis modem.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote