View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I was a guest at the Kobo Aura H2O launch party in Toronto (where Kobo is headquartered) this evening, and have now held the device in my hands. Beautiful machine, very similar in form to the Kobo Aura HD, which it replaces. The launch party was held poolside, with a synchronized-swimming team going in and out of the water with H2O units.

Shipping October 1; Canadian retail price of $179. Only one physical switch (power); light on/off is now done by running a finger up the far left-hand side of the screen (from 0%, or off, at the bottom to 100% at the top).

The new Carta screen does noticeably whiter whites and blacker blacks than the screen on the HD.

The micro-SD slot and micro-USB connector are on the bottom, and, to maintain the waterproof seal, there's a hatch cover that goes over them.

The multitouch screen can detect when it has numerous points of contact simultaneously; the device interprets that circumstance as it being under water, or dappled with water spots, and can show a screen message to that effect (which can be disabled).

Case is slightly smaller and thinner than on the Aura HD, but the texture of the bezel and back is pretty much the same, as is the shape of the back. The H2O will come only in black (no espresso, no white), although it's really a very deep charcoal, not a solid black.

The Kobo logo is unobtrusively done in gloss finish against the matte bezel in dark type, centered at the bottom; it looks classier than on the HD.

The unit I held had firmware 3.7.0 installed (3.5.0 is the current public firmware for the Aura and Aura HD).

Terrific device, and I'm very glad to see it'll be in stores in time for Christmas.

All best wishes.

Rob
That's great! I saw Kobo's pic on facebook of the pool. Thanks for sharing!
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote