View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
He means connecting your computer to the internet using someone else's WiFi network without their permission.

This is illegal in the UK, and a number of people have been prosecuted for it.

I'm afraid I disagree. The fact that someone leaves the front door of their house standing open doesn't make it legal for other people to go into that house and use the owner's possessions without their permission. No more does the fact that a WiFi network is unsecured make it legal to use it without permission.
Except that some of us (me included) leave a connection open specifically for the use of the public. They are more than welcome to use that connection without prior permission.

So, in our neighborhood, it's more like leaving the door open with an understanding that anyone is free to come in and use the bathroom. That's what it's there for.

I often see one or two cars parked on the road in front of my house, with occupants browsing away on their laptops. Every time I have gone up to the road to say "hi" to whoever it is, it turns out that they are a builder or real estate agent just trying to keep in touch with the office.

I always assure them that it's just fine and dandy to use the connection, and point out several other houses in the valley (some of which are probably closer to the house they are building or marketing) that have exactly the same "policy."

So, I couldn't really take the poll, because there was no selection for (1) it's not illegal in my area and (2) I have a very open door policy about the public using my connection.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote