View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
... How is Windows in terms of apps? Does it work in the same way as getting apps for the ipad, or is it more like a laptop and software? ...
Actually it works like both. The "Modern" (aka Metro) side of Win8.1 works much like an iPad or Android device in terms of Apps. They are installed from a restricted Store, the MS Store in this case, and are generally small compact Apps configured for small screens and touch interface. The full Win8.1 also includes a Desktop environment that is the same as you commonly see on Desktop and Notebook computers. It can run the same applications (e.g. Photoshop, Lightroom, standard Windows games, multimedia players capable of handling a wide range of formats, ...)

Quote:
I did suddenly think it would be nice if she can play minecraft and watch shows too. Would this be possible on all tablets (I have an account with ultraviolet/flixter, but I'm thinking more of kids shows ripped from DVDs).
You can do this on most tablets, but a full Windows 8.1 (not the limited Windows RT) is more open and more flexible.

If you are looking at larger machines and at using major Windows games I would recommend that you look for machines with either 64g or 128g storage. One of the Microsoft Surface Pro machines (not "Surface", which runs RT) would easily handle most games and perform more in the more in the class of the more powerful notebooks.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote