View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
If you want full calibre compatibility then Android (including Kindle Fire series) and iOS (iPad, et. al.) are not the way to go.

I would suggest a full Windows 8.1 tablet. Tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro (which is what I use) and the similar competing tablets can run calibre along with a variety of good ereaders (I generally use Kindle for Windows, not Kindle for Windows 8) and PDF readers. There are many, many multimedia applications for both the Modern interface (the tablet style interface) and the classic Desktop interface (I use the desktop version of VLC).

The 8" Windows 8.1 tablets are a bit more expensive than the Kindle Fire you mention. Most are currently running $200-300 USD.

PDFs can be a bit of a challenge on 7-8" displays. The text is often quite small and zooming in and scrolling around is sometimes necessary. A larger 10-12" display makes things easier. There are Windows 8.1 devices in that size range, but the prices get noticeably higher.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote