View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
Inside an epub that uses real page numbers you will find either one of two things:

1. a page-map.xml file that lists the id target anchor for the start of the real page in the matching printed book.

Or

2. a set of pagelist entries that are added to the toc.ncx file that serves the exact same thing just using a slightly different format.

So epubs can set and use real page numbers but the ebook author must take the time to put < a id="pageXXX" > < / a > tag inline just before the first word of page XXX and then create either a page-map.xml or add the pageList to the toc.ncx that point to each one.

This is rarely done and so ebook readers will often use a set number of characters and simply call it a "page" but these have no relation to the original printed version.

Simply Google page-map.xml or pageList and epub and read up on it.

Hope this helps,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I always thought it was xx number of characters that generally denoted a page on ereaders and that we had no control over it, but I'm starting to think there must be some setting that can define the number of characters per page number.

Usually a page will show for multiple page flips while reading. So turning the page 3-6x, depending on the size font used, can show the same page number. The current book I'm reading though changes the page number for each and every page flip that I do. This of course drastically inflates the total page number count to 1112 (when Amazon for instance shows 396 pages, which is correct).

I can't find anything within the epub that would be setting a different number of characters to denote pages. So how exactly is it showing a new page for each page turn?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote