Thread: Kobo Start Menu
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #290
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
find file and open in koreader: almost useful

This is a little experiment in response to this post by Ken. As I currently only have access to a very limited development environment (basically a text editor), I tried to achieve the goal with the means provided by the present version of the Kobo Start Menu.

This package needs KBStartMenu_04_update01a.zip to be already installed on your device.

Install:
  • Extract KoboRoot.tgz from the archive
  • Copy KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo of your device
  • Safely eject the device
  • Select "handle update" > "install update"
  • Attention: This will overwrite your user settings.
Alternative way to install:
  • Extract the content of KoboRoot.tgz
  • Edit usersettings.txt according to your wishes
  • Merge the kbmenu folder with the kbmenu folder of your device
Usage: Generally speaking, the process consists of two parts
1) compose a search string and hand it to the search function
2) select a book from the provided list

Example: We will search for files that match A*.epub. If you don't have a matching file on your device change the search string accordingly.
  • 1)
    • Select "koreader additons" > "find and open" > "koreader find.sh"
    • Select "AaBbCcDdEe" > "A"
    • Select "accept"
    • Select "[] {asterisk} ..." > "{asterisk}"
    • Select ".epub"
    • In the info box you should see now: A{asterisk}.epub
    • Select "accept"
    • Select "find"
  • 2)
    • You should now see a list of files. Since the file names might be long and the available space of the menu entries is very limited, you might need to select one entry so that it gets displayed in the info box so that you can identify it.
    • If you have settled for a file, toggle the mode to "open in koreader"
    • Select the file you have settled for
    • You should now see the file opened in koreader
The usage is a little cumbersome, but might nevertheless be useful in some cases. (While testing, I discovered some interesting unread books on my device that I had already forgotten about.) I could possibly make the first point (composing the search string) more comfortable be providing a keyboard in future.

Under the entry "koreader additons" > "find and open" you see apart from "koreader find.sh" also "koreader find dot pdfs.sh." koreader find dot pdfs.sh does the same as koreader find.sh with the difference that the search is limited to the directory .pdfs (and its sub directories). The related script file koreader_find_dot_pdfs.sh lives in kbmenu/koreaderfindsh. You can take it as a template for similar scripts. Put them into the same folder- They will all be listed in "find and open."
Attached Files
File Type: zip find_and_open_in_koreader.zip (4.4 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by tshering; 06-27-2014 at 05:44 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote