View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Thanks for all your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I would change things only if it were a work of science used currently, so that information would be more easily accessed. Otherwise you are taking away from the flavor of how things were at the time.

It is all to easy to slip into why didn't they do this when considering the actions of persons in a book. The old expressions remind you, no penicillin in 1900, etc.
I see what you mean, but the thing is: this expressions (acronyms or abbreviations) are still used nowadays, but usually just in newspapers. I believe it is uncommon for a kids book (or even an adult book) from around 1900. Nowadays, it is uncommon in a book. Also I think, changing from acronym to full expressions doesn't change much on the meaning of the book.

And just to add: I have this series of kids books from around the 1920s (I am focused on kids books). In one this one book, they mention the city S. Paulo. In the next book, released just 1 year later, from the same publisher, the spelling is changed to Sao Paulo.

So I decided to use the full expressions, not just the acronyms.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote