View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #50
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
what are your reasons for keeping XP?
I have a variety of computers around the house and a stack of harddrives for use in the notebooks I have laying around.

During one of my assignments I was given an "unlimited lifetime" license for XP and Office 2003 and so there's no reason NOT to keep at least one system around running XP. I just recently installed XP on a Gateway NV57 notebook. Although it shipped with Win7 (just 2 months before Win 8 was released) I was able to track down drivers for all the hardware.

XP runs like greased lightning on this notebook. And because it is 32-bit it supports older 16-bit Windows apps. (I have a ton of old Microsoft Home titles that are still fun to fire up once and a while)

I have a custom theme that I use (simpleXP) that is 10 years old but still looks clean and modern. Because XP has been around so long there is a ton of excellent software that still runs great. This system won't be my main every day system, but I'll certainly use it pretty often.

The dangers of staying with XP have been overstated by the tech media. Deliberately so. They don't want to be held accountable for anyone losing data if they were to say that it would be "ok" to stay with XP.

I've been in the industry for a long time and know how to keep a system safe and secure.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote