View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Greg, what I do is run the doc file (created in Word or in Open Office Writer/LibreWriter) through word2cleanhtml.com online. In my experience, OO Writer produces slightly different results. For example, once I got <p=NORMAL> instead of simply <p> so I did a quick search & replace. (I could also have modified the style sheet to accommodate p.NORMAL.)

Assuming your intention is to publish the result through online retailers, note that Calibre-generated files are sometimes (often?) rejected by Kindle Direct Publishing.
Thanks Notjohn. Tried word2cleanhtml.com and it didn't work too well for me. And yeah, I'm kind of leery of Calibre because of what you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Um..can't he run a VM with XP in it, to keep the process? (If, for some reason, he can no longer run XP wherever he was?) Just because XP isn't being further supported doesn't mean it's going to explode in a ball of fiery death right this instant. And, equally dumb, why not just buy Win7? Instead of all the Linux pain and suffering? (For someone who isn't a Linux user by desire or nature, inherently, I mean. No Linux-bashing here. Just askin'.)

Hitch
No, no, I hear ya. I've been on the verge of going Windows 7 a million times (all this su su sudio crap with Linux commands!), but Linux is growing on me. I'm getting kind of into it. And the sluggish XP Dells are now lightning fast and not overloaded and crashing like XP regularly was.

And XP is going to work come April 8th. Some of the browsers too. MSE is extended. But the OS is not supported. I can't see working long-term like that.

And I don't know enough about VM and running XP in it. If I do that, will I be vulnerable to a virus (post April 8th)? That might be a good solution for me.

I miss XP just because I was so used to it. Now it's like I'm re-inventing the wheel every single day. (Eg. Today I needed a .mobi and had no Kindle Previewer to convert my .epub. Which amounts to a time-wasting pain in the derriere.)

But there's got to be some kind of middle ground/hybrid that will work.

And, Hitch, you were like, '.doc, .odt, etc. doesn't matter,' but I'm finding that .odt and the styles in LO are not as dependable as the styles in Word and Office 2003.

So I don't know. I'm still on the fence.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote