View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
line-height: xxx% code in CSS also prevents line spacing options on reader from working
e.g. line-height:130%;

specific font-size: values in CSS seem seem harmless
font-size affects the line spacing if there is no fixed line-height. When the line spacing is adjusted with the line spacing slider it doesn't increase the line height in proportion to font size, so large text will have a narrower spacing than small text. This becomes a problem when the publisher uses something like font-size:small for the main text, it effectively causes the line spacing to increase. For this reason I rescale all the font-sizes if necessary so that the main text is 1em/100%/medium, and I leave a fixed line-height for large and very small text such as headings, so the spacing doesn't change when I adjust the spacing of the main text using the line spacing slider.

Quote:
I am a tad curious - when Kobo sell a KEPUB , do they have a quality control process that strips out any of this stuff or do they just hope that the book publisher has done it

i.e. is it reasonable to expect all the sliders to work with every purchased .kepub format book ?
Kobo seem to fix a lot of the problems during the conversion to kepub, but not all of them, and they sometimes add problems too. The adjustment sliders work for most of the kepubs I have bought, but not for all. There are just so many ways to screw up an epub I doubt there is an automated procedure that can fix everything. I just treat the time spent fixing mistakes in epubs as part of the price of the ebook now. It usually takes less time to fix the problems than it would to write a complaint with a description of the problems.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote