View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You changed threads, are you trying to confuse me?
it was a pre-emptive change before the mods say "this no longer has anything to do with Calibre ! ". I jumped before being pushed.

please see PM but 2 specific reasons for NOT wanting to remove all font-family assignments.
1. practicality - I would have to manually edit each book unless there is a cleaver way to do it via modify e-pub plug-in
2. I still like to edit in Sigil, I'm trying to migrate to calibre editor but tend to fall back to the software I know best. Sigil book view is awful unless there's a font-family setting, it's hard to read & the QT package leaves trailing bits of characters as you insert/delete text. SO pretty much every book I've ever edited has a font family setting which I've forced in via a calibre conversion or a modify e-pub tweak

So I am hopeful that a consistent use of append css can lead to consistent appearance on Kobo
e.g. instead of just appending
p { font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;}
I could also append
body { font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;}

If, however, I do strip out every font-family statement, do all the built-in Kobo fonts then all start to work, and what do I then see when I select "document original font". if YES , then maybe that's an acceptable trade-off for some ugliness within Sigil book view, but how would I automate finding & removing all those ?

I think I've still not grasped the font sizing issues fully - maybe this is because some books had an explicit 1em value & others have nothing at all ( because older readers than assumed 1em ? )

is there a "proper" written kobo user manual anywhere, not the tiny one in the box that only tells you how to do set-up ?
update: google finds a reasonable length user guide but it mostly restates the obvious.
I Like old-school manuals for programmers like IBM used to write

I did find this in the iuser guide though, which answers one question for me
Note:
• When you change the way text looks, your eReader
remembers your preferred text size and style, and
applies it to other books you read in the future.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-19-2014 at 02:41 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote