View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #47
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Katsunami, where would I get the 5.4.0. and what does it do?
5.4.0 is the original firmware for the KPW2, which does not have GoodReads integration, and has no Cloud Collections. Hence, it also doesn't have the nags when working with collections without using Wi-Fi. This firmware cannot be downloaded at Amazon (they don't provide it), but I read some time ago that the people in the Kindle Developers forum have found a way to extract it from a Kindle that wasn't yet upgraded, so one can downgrade to it. There was a convoluted, not-so-easy way to accomplish it.

My suggestion is to contact ixtab, and/or NiLuJe.

If there is a simple way to install 5.4.0, one of them will know of it and point you to the relevant instructions. You could also try a post in the Kindle Developers subforum.

To my regret I can be of no further assistance in this matter; I'm not into hacking the Kindle. (Or other readres... or phones...)

If you manage to downgrade, don't leave the Kindle lying around with Wi-Fi turned on (at a friend's house, for example), because it'll download the newest firmware. If there's enough battery power, it'll also install it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-19-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote