View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #67
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshayy View Post
I hope I did not create more confusion.

If you buy a book and open in ADE 3.0 immediately, book becomes new DRM, then it won't work in older firmwares or ADE 2.0
So, people who update ADE just because there's an update may find their current readers to be useless after buying new books. Nice... not. This is going to cause trouble.

Quote:
If you buy a book and open in ereader device, or open in ade 2.0 then book uses older drm, it will work everywhere even in ADE 3.0
Thus, Adobe must force people to somehow switch over to ADE 3.x if they want to start using this new DRM system. How are they going to do that; prohibiting new accounts to sign in with ADE 2.x when first created? Impossible. There are too many devices going around, new or second hand, that rely on ADE 2.x. They will be in use for many more years from now on.

Quote:
What matters most is where you open the book for the first time after buying the book.

First time open in old device with old firmware or ade 2.0, old drm epub.
First time open in new device with new firmware or ade 3.0, new drm epub.

The reason for this is the license key is stored in bookstore database. It will store either new drm key or old drm key.

Am I clear ?
How long will ADE 2.x be supported? As I said: many current readers, that may not be updated anymore, depend on it to function properly.

You might imagine already that I will not be switching before this new DRM is cracked. I will not buy any books that I cannot un-DRM, because I require the ability to convert them to any reader I will own in the future. The reason is that I buy books much faster than I can read them, especially if there are sales. I might buy a book NOW, that I will read after only 5 years, and I don't know which reader or application I'll be using, or which DRM (if any) it will support.

This is the case for many readers and buyers here.

It would be very helpful if you could provide some documentation as to how the DRM works, and the open source community will happily implement their own "ADE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That does make perfect sense, thanks. So our current books will continue to use ADE 2.0 encryption, it is only newly bought books that will use ADE 3.0 encryption, if the .acsm file is opened in ADE 3.0 instead of ADE 2.0.
Thus, ADE 3.x will never ever catch on with people "in the know".

*archiving my copy of ADE 2.0*
*backup... again... again....*

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-25-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote