View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 03:07 AM   #18660
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Interesting reading list. I'm not familiar with Brandon Sanderson but I really like Brian Green and Simon Singh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Me too! I rate Green and Singh right up there with Michio Kaku (who has a new book coming out next month, I think).
It wasn't until last year that I found out that science books like these exist. It feels strange now, but I thought that science books were only in textbook form and I didn't think to check to make sure. Our bookshops don't have any translated versions of science books and only a few fiction bestsellers in English. I found out about them from the sciene ebooks recommendation thread and now I have a pretty long TBR list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
He has a reputation as a "world builder" and the "magic system" guy because his books tend to have unique magic systems and very detailed histories for the worlds, so if you like that you are in for a treat. If not, it can get old.
I love the world building part of fantasy books and I think that's one of the reasons why I like this book so much. I also like the balance between action and the world building and how things are slowly revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
On The Way of Kings specifically, it is the first book in an approximately 10 book long series (figure 10,000+ pages for the whole thing), the second book is only coming out this year, so there has been a 4 year wait. If you don't like waiting for books (JRRM, Jordan) I would skip it until he gets caught up. Admittedly he did take some time off for the Wheel of Time books which slowed down his original schedule.
I knew there was a new book in the same universe coming out this year, but I thought it was the second in a series of three books. A 10 books series seems incredibly long, but if I like the next books as much I like what I've read so far, I won't complain
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote