View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
SimonFinch
SimonFinch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Access eBooks on a NAS (via Browser?)

I've been using Calibre locally on my Mac for some time. All OK.

I've just installed a Netgear ReadyNas 104 at home and moved a lot of content to it (e.g. my iTunes Media and films & photos etc.). I also want to be able to store my eBooks so that they are available to everyone on the network.

As a basic requirement I want someone to go to a folder from their Kindle's browser, navigate to a book and download it. I can do this at the moment but it's a laborious process navigating through all of the folders to find an author and then a particular book.

So my question is how best to set up my NAS to allow users to access the books. They do NOT need to access Calibre's Edit or manage books functions, just get at the books as in the way they can be using the content server. I just want to run this on the NAS without running the content server on a PC. If the content server can run on the NAS, that's fine (but how?).

As another method, I'm happy to manually update a version of the actual book files library to the NAS every so often from my Mac and have them accessible.

Is there a way of "auto generating" a browser accessible catalogue for users to access over my home network that would be easier to navigate or even search?

I've found this;
http://calibre2opds.com/read-the-doc...d-and-install/
but I'm rapidly getting out of my depth.

Thanks,

Simon
SimonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote