View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think the actual cost of the card would be pretty low if they mass-produce them...you can get 1GB CF cards here for around 30Euro (and those aren't even noname cards) so it should be fairly easy to make them cheap...but it is of course a cost-factor.
Where i see the problem is the whole design idea. You can't just sell a bunch of unmakred cards. You'll have some sort of mini-cover design on each one...and a big box to put it in...and a plastic wrapper to put around that...and lost of pictures and text on the package and on the booklet that they will also want to add...and then you need to pay for the paper, pay for the ink, pay for the designers that layout the whole thing and do the cover picture, then add the price for the cards, DRM, profits all round....well...you can see where this is going...

I'm sure it wouldn't be quite that bad...but look at chocolate...buy a box and then make two heaps...one of chocolate and one of packaging...^^
or computer hardware...look at what they do with those insane retail packages...you can hardly find the product in there most of the time...I only every buy retail when i can't find bulkware....with retail never know what to throw away and what to keep...

Computer games went the right way recently with those DVD-style cases that contain everything you need...but that's just one thing...marketing wants to make differnt products different...and if they aren't so different you have to make the boxes different to show the different...
now I'm differing...or am I dithering???
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote