Thread: Glo Android on Glo
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #187
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd366 View Post
While searching how to make an app to refresh screen and reduce ghosting, I just found this Nook hack.
It uses black and white mode.

Could this be adapted to our Kobo Android ?
Probably we can, but not without changes. It looks like it is wrapper for Nook system library we don't have.

What we have is libepd.so library and after decompilation of Tolino software I have found first usage of it. The app in the attachments shows how to do full area refresh from your app. If you want to write your app and have nice, smart refreshes and always clean display - you can use it We can also modify existing apps (like Moon+ Reader) and add needed calls to improve image quality (through decompiling, adding needed calls in smali). It's not s-f. It's doable. Someone did it for AlReader (you can find it on lesen.net Tolino forum, modified version is installed in my image posted here). It's easier for open source apps, of course. Generally it's fantastic that we can improve user experience on Kobo (and Tolino, hehe) devices. I'm now certain that Android is the best OS for Kobo readers

If you look closer into ScreenHelper class, there are screen refresh methods like A2, DU, GC16_PARTIAL, GC16_FULL etc. so we have the same update modes like Nook. A2 is for fast and no ghosting 1-bit black&white displays. We can turn on this mode for games and movies (but additional dithering implementation would be very desirable).

Have a good fun!
Attached Files
File Type: zip AndroidEINKTest.apk.zip (9.9 KB, 403 views)
File Type: zip AndroidEINKTest_src.zip (55.5 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by MarekGibek; 11-30-2013 at 01:07 PM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote