View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
ACGT
ACGT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi Ken,

The PC is Linux and indeed, I see .kobo folder when I enable the view of hidden files. To be safe, I followed the instructions completely. Download pbchess-1.2.6.20_kobo.zip

Unzip it and proceeded to step 5 (copy launcher.png to kobo root folder, Aura HD, firmware 2.10). Then eject the Kobo reader from the PC, the processing progression gauge moved but got stuck at 92%. After about 10 minutes, I think it got stuck and couldn't power down. I then hit the reset button (the pin hole in the bottom edge).

Now the device is stuck in a boot loop, the home screen is displayed up side down (the top of the home screen is close to the edge where there is the USB port). The launcher image doesn't appear on the home screen. The device is insensitive to any touch. During that infinite boot loop, if I keep hitting on buttons. Sometimes the GUI seems to register the touch, another GUI element is displayed, for example, the Settings screen. But then nothing can go further as a reboot is followed shortly right after.

When connecting the USB cable, hitting the Connect button does nothing. Pushing on Reset or slide & hold Power off button has no effects. I am afraid that png image had bricked the device.

EDIT #1: read on another thread that there is a way to "Factory Reset": push the reset pinhole while pressing the light button simultaneously. Hold both for about 10 seconds, then release the reset while continuing to hold the light button. Release the light button when the screen begin showing that reset begining.

EDIT #2: After the Factory Reset. I re-setup the device, using Kobo Desktop instead of the WiFi method. Then I redo the precedure described in post #1 again, starting from step 4. This time I use a Windows PC instead of the Linux machine previously. Every thing seems to work OK now. The Koreader is indeed much faster than the built-in version.

Thanks for putting up these setup instructions.

Last edited by ACGT; 11-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.
ACGT is offline   Reply With Quote