View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimasic View Post
Generated with kindlegen mobi contains three sections: mobi7, azw3 and source files section. kindlegen does not write PDOC/EBOK tag at all, you know. azw3 section has its own header with author name, book title and so on - it's the same as mobi header. But! Kindle reads this tag and author name, and book title from azw3 header, not from mobi header. And metadata editor can change only the header of mobi file.

So if you want to load this book to kindle and see its cover on your PW, you should extract azw3 section using KindleUnpack and change its 501 tag with metadata editor. Alas, it's the only way to load azw3 to kindle - USB cable, as "Send to Kindle" service can't load such books as I know.

Or you can use Calibre as it mentioned above to generate book with EBOK tag..

I have been pulling my hair out to solve this problem in the past 2 weeks and you solved it for me. It works. Now, I don't see personal banner with my modified book anymore. The Book Description and About the Author from the pull-down menu work perfectly too.

The only minor problem is syncing between my PW and Kindle Cloud Reader is no longer working. But as long as my annotations, highlights and bookmarks are still stored at Amazon Cloud for my PW that's OK. The book has been significantly modified so even though syncing between PW and Cloud Reader work, the bookmarks and annotations wouldn't match ie they wouldn't be in the same position.

So here's how I solve it just in case others have the same problem:
1. After you generate your book with Kindlegen, unpack it with Kindle Unpack and make sure that Split Combination KF8 Kindle eBooks are enabled.
2. Look for azw3 file name that begins with mobi8. If the book is called Peter Pan, the file you want is mobi8-Peter Pan.azw3
3. Modify its Metadata with Java Mobi Metadata Editor and make sure that the tag for 113(ASIN), 504(ASIN) and 501(CDE type) are set to the correct value particularly the CDE type must be set to EBOK.
4. Upload the book to your Kindle. Make sure you delete the original book first from your Kindle. The name of the modified book and the original book must be the same.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-24-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote