View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #154
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashWest View Post
Doesn't bother me at all. I haven't read a lot of McCarthy, but The Road was one of the most haunting novels I've ever read and the lack of quotation marks just worked.

Lack of quotations marks also seemed to me to make sense in E.L. Doctorow's Ragtime, another all time favorite of mine. Perhaps because it included real life historical characters and Doctorow was putting words in their mouths, the lack of quotes suggests that he wasn't quoting them exactly but just conveying a sense of what might have happened.
I agree that the lack of quotation marks worked in The Road and Ragtime. I think that it also worked in The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I read those three in paper. Since this thread I've questioned why I didn't like the lack of quotation marks in Rules of Civility by Amor Towles, which I read on my Kindle. Don't know if it's because it was digital, or if it seemed to be a pointless affectation, or if I am just getting old and crabby.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote