View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Shifting back to physical books...

Just like the title of the thread says, I've slowly been shifting my reading back to physical books lately. Has this been the case for anyone else?

It wasn't an intentional thing for me; over the last few months I just seem to have stopped impulse buying so many ebooks and buying more physical books. Before, if I heard about a book that sounded interesting, I would head to Kobo to check the price and see if a coupon code applied. Usually the price would be fairly low and I'd buy even where a coupon code didn't apply (it usually did). Now though, the price on Kobo and other ebook stores is typically higher than the price of the physical book, and I can't even remember the last book I wanted to buy that was eligible for a Kobo coupon.

Here's a couple recent examples:
  • The Fault in Our Stars - $15.99 for the epub (Kobo), but $10.99 for the hardcover at Costco.
  • Fooled by Randomness - $16.99 for the epub (Kobo), but $15.00 for the paperback at Chapters.ca
  • Embassytown - $12.99 for the epub (Kobo), but $6 from a Coles (local bookstore) for the hardcover (this one is a little unfair since the hardcover was obviously overstock)

I realize it has always been the case that sometimes epubs would cost more than a physical edition. However, lately it seems like everybook I'm interested in is priced higher for the epub than the physical book.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote