View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #99
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, the thing I am against is the hypocritical opinion that one type of copyright infringement is OK but not another type. My personal opinion is that both are one the same level and I can accept both sometimes.
I don't understand how buying a book legally, even if you tell a lie to do it is copyright infringement.

Do the books themselves stipulate that they cannot be read in a certain areas? I have bought books in Europe and carried them home and finished reading them in Canada.

Most authors would strongly prefer you don't pirate their books, perhaps they also care about where you get them, I doubt it.

Most venders want to get as much as they can for their product, but will settle for a decent price.

Slightly OT, but I can buy a certain product that is only manufactured less than 10 miles from where I live for half the price in another country, including shipping and duty. I don't think that is right, do you?

Canadian paper books are typically $2.00 higher than US. Both prices are printed on the book. The exchange rate is pretty equal and sometimes favors CAD. Same with Michael's flowers. I asked them why and they say US exchange. I pulled out a big pile of US currency and said can I get US prices if I pay in US dollars. The answer is no. Do you consider this ethical?
I can go across the border and save a few bucks if I want to but most can't.
I can also buy the paper or ebook from Amazon at US prices, with no trickery involved even if the Canadian price is higher. Am I pirating the book?
If I buy a book from Canada and send it as a gift to my friend in Romania do they ask me where it is going? I don't know for sure but somehow I doubt it.

If you pay the asking price for the product you are not pirating it that I can see, any more than if you chose a local vender with the lowest prices on anything.

How do you see it as piracy? I am curious to know.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote