View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Turn your Kobo into a Debian Linux tablet

Sorry for the delay - I was on vacation

It's fantastic that you guys were able to solve most of your problems yourself and even managed to run my sample image on a Kobo Mini (fixing bootloader)!!

Now I'm back with the necessary kernel changes needed to install Debian on your Kobos:

https://github.com/marek-g/kobo-kernel-2.6.35.3-marek

The only changes needed to run X11 are related to the eInk display driver and keyboard driver. Inside !Marek/framebuffer-utils folder there are the files to enable and disable eInk's autoupdate mode.

You can undo changes for touch driver because:
  • the changes enable multitouch in the kernel but I still didn't find a working driver for X11 (I started implementing a custom X11 driver but it supports single touch only for now and no right button) - maybe it's because I left single touch events for compatibility with original software
  • according to other posts I probably hardcoded 800x600 resolution somewhere so that needs to be fixed
If you stay with the original touch driver you can use the evdev driver for X11 and still have a working touch and even configure the right mouse button emulation.

I was playing with the image posted here and I've found it's nice to:
  • install nautilus to navigate through your files
  • install okular (with extensions) to view PDF files
  • install calibre - it has great ePub reader (ebook-viewer command) - it needs path to ebook as a parameter so you can use zenity command to open file selector and pass the selected path to ebook-viewer (you can use this command: ebook-viewer `zenity --file-selector`)
  • install gtk-theme-switch to change font sizes and look of gtk apps
  • modify gtk theme to increase slider size
  • modify Firefox's chrome.css file to increase tab sizes etc. - it would be nice to have custom Firefox theme for Kobo
You can add new software to the menu by editing the awesome.lua config file in the ~/.config folder.

I hope that together we will be able to do things like:
  • better screen updates (automatic full screen refresh from time to time)
  • support for screen rotation at any time
  • enable multitouch
  • port existing / write new software
  • ... ?

Have a good fun,
Marek

Related: Sample Kobo Debian firmware image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_boot_menu.png
Views:	5540
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	110739   Click image for larger version

Name:	04_gamesmenu.png
Views:	5371
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	110740   Click image for larger version

Name:	07_terminal_and_keyboard.png
Views:	5479
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	110741   Click image for larger version

Name:	08_fbreader.png
Views:	5058
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	110742   Click image for larger version

Name:	09_nytimes.png
Views:	4984
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	110743   Click image for larger version

Name:	10_klondike.png
Views:	4692
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	110744  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 09-10-2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: moved to frontpage
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote