OK. I localised the problem.
1. Working with original DejaVu fonts: it behaves as described, the condensed fonts are not seen.
2. Removed the DejaVu normal fonts, and the condensed fonts are seen correctly.
3. Increase weights on all four sets of fonts (using FontCreator)
4. Place all four modified sets on Kindle: it behaves as described, the condensed fonts are not seen.
5. Use TypeLight and rename the condensed fonts to the same. It has the strange effect of clearing some metadata fields. As such, all four fonts are seen separately.
At this point, I got a new problem. This happens only with DejaVu Sans Condensed with increase weight.
1. If I put on Kindle only the regular font, the text appears as regular.
2. But if I put both the regular and any other (italic, bold, or bolditalic), then the main font is no longer the regular, but one of the others, in this order: italic, bold, bolditalic.
I am pretty sure that the metadata is correct for these fonts. So something else is happening.
I tried the same with the original DejaVu Sans Condensed alone (i.e. without the original DejaVu Sans). The font is shown as DejaVu Sans, but it behaves correctly, i.e. the regular font is not ignored. For all DejaVu weight increases I used glyph transformation bold(30,24).
Any suggestions for what I may try next?
Last edited by hfpop; 08-24-2013 at 06:22 PM.