View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I liked the entire book, but the medieval portions were certainly the most stirring to me. I didn't feel the deaths of any of the characters in the books' present, but I felt deeply the deaths of Agnes, Father Roche, and Rosemund; as well as the fear and frustration with which they lived.

Yes, it was obvious that with the exception of the medical advances and time travel technology the book's portrayal of the near-future looked very dated, but these are the risks inherent in writing science fiction; the more so as the pace of scientific knowledge continues to accelerate. I imagine that many who rated the book less than stellar would have had higher opinions of the book had we been having this discussion in 1992 when the book was first published.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote