View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Admittedly, I find many of the classics to be efficiently sleep-inducing and painfully archaic, but I'll nevertheless share three recommendations (looking at this thread, you already have plenty of reading material as is!):

Dracula is a must read, partly because it's simply entertaining, and chiefly because of how the author managed the viewpoints. There are very few writers who took this approach and actually made it work. It's excellent for studying purposes.

H.G. Wells wrote a large number of short stories, covering a wide variety of genres, and although they are lesser known (everyone remembers him for The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds and The Island of Doctor Moreau, all of which are solid recommendations), they are among those classic short stories that actually engaged and captivated me. The Magic Shop is one of my favorites. There's a ~900 pages collection of all of his short stories, though many can also be found in smaller collections or as individual texts.

On the literary fiction side, there are the short stories by Guy de Maupassant. As far as non-genre fiction goes, he's perhaps my most appreciated classic short story writer. The individual pieces are a little hit and miss, but quite a few of them have made a lasting impression on me (Boule de Suif being the most notable example). All of them are in the public domain and there are several "complete collection" e-books.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote