View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #3162
rryk
rryk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
* That blog post is deprecated, there's a setting in the USBNet hack that does that for you.
Do you mean the WiFi setting? Awesome. Then I don't need step c) and d). Just a) and b).

Quote:
* If you have a linkjail fodler, you should be jailbroken (ie. keep it).
Why wouldn't it then accept usbnetwork update? I do not exclude the possibility that I have copied it there myself for some reason (perhaps in hope that this will install the jailbreak).

Quote:
* Without a screen and a shell access, nope, OTOH, no way to know the FW version.
I guess then I have to try one of the two. If I use the wrong version - what will happen? Will it brick the device? How will I know that it's bricked? Can I somehow update my Kindle via some official way to 3.3 and then use the latest jailbreak?

Quote:
* A grayed "Update Your Kindle" link means you're using the wrong .bin file for your Kindle model.
I can't see it's grayed out, but the selection jumps over it and voice guide doesn't read it. Like I said it's only active on the following updates:
  • update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin
  • update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_uninstall.bin
  • update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w-3.0-to-3.2_install.bin

P.S. It seems I've just used the wrong usbnetwork update. I've tried the one with k3w suffix and it has enabled the "update" option in the menu. Now I've installed it. I guess now I need to get Linux machine somewhere and test it. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by rryk; 08-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
rryk is offline   Reply With Quote