zoorakhan
zoorakhan began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
Quote:
add a column to Calibre for read time,
create a catalogue csv with title, author, word count, GF Index etc
open catalogue csv in excel, calculate read time, save new catalogue csv
read updated catalogue csv into the Import List plugin, and update read time
I saw it and spent some time on this method but i failed to match books about 30-40 % of the time (all unmatched books were by multiple authors so it is possible I may be using the plugin incorrectly) but got the other books correctly and infact i had already manually searched the remaining books but calibre crashed.

So while your solution was time consuming in retrospect it gave results 60-70 % of the time and failed the rest presumably due to my stupidity. But anywhichway, i got to know a intriguing plugin with which i'll play around and I m sure it will prove useful in coming time.

Quote:
I hope I got your formula right. 21000 is your base WPH speed, and Gunning index is divided by 8 to get your gunning factor. To tweak it, the easisest is to double-click a field in the column "Reading time", and you can change the formula while seeing a live preview.

Change #words and #gunning according to your custom column names.

You'll probably want to format the number, to get two decimal digits you can wrap the template in format_number, ie
This went way beyond spoon feeding. It is almost if you deposited the nutrients to the individual cell mitochondria. Thanks a whole bunch. It was almost as easy as copy pasting your formula to the column template. In fact you even corrected the silly mistake i made to multiply my WPM speed with 3600 (and not 60)

These are non-existent quibbles, I m almost asking you to ignore them.

1. Formula encountered a error because I had word count column set up with thousand separators (eg. 123456 is shown as 1,23,456). Had to erase the format for numbers for that column and values showed up like magic. (it was magic for me as i had struggled for multiple hours with import list plugin method. your method was much more noob proof)

2. Since I have the calculated values, I was wondering if my some chance I could copy only the values (kinda like copying a cell with formula to another cell with paste ->values only in MS Excel) and delete the original column wherein the values were calculated.

The reason I m asking is I read somewhere in these forums that are columns that are calculated from other columns slow the library.

I m now on my home desktop now, but I will have to access calibre library on my weak field/work laptop in a weeks time where I load it up from a USB drive. And then I could format the word count values to show commas some the make sense.

Like I said these are minor quibbles and I can live with them very comfortably. And thanks again.

Last edited by zoorakhan; 08-07-2013 at 01:37 PM.
zoorakhan is offline   Reply With Quote