Thread: Dialog Question
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
So I have a character that says..

Everything here is constantly recorded, both visually and audio.

And that just sounds wrong, esply for spoken word.

Everything here is constantly recorded, both visually and audioly.

Does not seem right either. Would

Everything here is constantly recorded, both visual and audio.

be right? It still seems awkward. Not sure what to do with it.

It's getting a little tautological. If "everything" is recorded, you don't need to say "constant," as you've already said "everything." "Audibly," which I assume is what you meant in the typo (audioly), is an adverb. The adverb is derived from audible, the noun, and audible the adjective (ha! Tricky buggers). If you say "video," say "audio," but both sound kind of formal to me. I think if someone is saying this, presumably whispering (?), he'd say something more akin to Lazer's suggestion. Or something like,"

"They tape everything." Or, "[t]hey record everything." The whole "audio and video" seems stilted to me; "they can see and hear everything, and they keep it forever," sounds more like a person. Hard to know without a little more context, but heavens know, you've had lots of us kibbitzing. ;-)

Just my $.02.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote