View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #54
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
So, starting with thickening...

I'm trying to thicken up the free font Andada. I set the values to 4 & 2 respectively for bolding it, and the result is rather ugly looking. A lot of the subtle curves are now sharp and blocky. Is there an easy way to smooth things back out?
I don't know the answer but when I first tried thickening, FontCreator's default values for Horiz:Vert were 20 & 16. As I had no idea what 'better' values might be I decided to stick with values using the same ratio e.g. 5 & 4 for thickening a bit or 25 & 20 for thickening a lot. It seemed to work OK but a more scientific suggestion would be most welcome I do remember some fonts being more successful than others.

Oh, and I never thicken a font which has already been thickened. I start from the original each time.

Alternatively, did you also try the new trick we were recently discussing in the other font thread, i.e. renaming the original Andada fonts (internally and externally) as Rockwell, Delima, Felbridge or Times New Roman then sideloading. You'd then be able to try Kobo's own TypeGenius thickening method to see if that gave better results with Andada. Internal renaming in FontCreator can be done using Tools - AutoNaming
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote