View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #224
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I, for one, do not want a front lit reader. Now, the only front lit readers that I have seen are the Kobo readers and these have left me massively underwhelmed and my comments are based the units that I saw at my local Indigo store.

The lighting is uneven. Very noticeably uneven. But then I notice the aliasing that you see when a broad area changes colour or intensity in a DVD image. I find it distracting (both the reader and the DVD).

The readers use really cheap leds. This results in a blueish cast to the screen that I really don't like. Come on, spend a few cents more and use high quality white leds, I know they are available. For the few who don't know, white leds are really blue leds with a phosphor coating to produce white light. Same principle as the fluorescent lamp. The cheap ones use a very thing layer or phosphor and the blue light leaks through. An example of a really good high quality white led is the IKEA Janso(?) lamp. I have several that I use a reading lights. But like all the IKEA lamps I have ever bought, the switch breaks just after the guarantee expires.

The Kindles may be better but I have a mess of Sonys so that until Kindle supports epub, they're not even an option.

If I really need something to read on in low light levels and I can't provide my own light, I would rather just get a tablet with and lcd screen (or better, an oled if they ever become affordable). But no interest in a front lit reader.

I also wouldn't buy a reader without buttons.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote