Thread: Who Owns Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #51
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The brain uses associat
ive content addressable look up which a computer has never been able to duplicate. A brain has no ALU at all. Mathematics in the brain is done with table look up. Remember all the tables you had to learn as a child. The computer depends heavily on the ALU (arithmetic logic unit) portion for all decision making. While externally a computer seems to be doing things that a human does the process is totally different.

There are a lot of implementations of associative lookup so I really do not know what you mean by your claim.

I took a genetical algorithm (or machine learning algorithm) as an example. In what way is this different from how the brain works. The method is inspired by how the brain works.

Also on some abstraction level and for some tasks the brain works very like a traditional computer program. But the question was if an ordinary processor could be used to implement the functionality of the brain (Weak AI) and most AI researcher think this is unproblematic. And I have really not seen any arguments in this thread for why it should not be possible.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote