View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #2112
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ...rejection of the character and the series...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Regarding TV Murphy, I'll go ahead and put out there that a factor in the rejection of the character and the series as a whole is that Murphy was no longer a white girl. I don't think it was as big a factor as in the backlash against the casting of certain characters in the Hunger Games movie, but when you take a character as sexualized as Murphy is (and however she's grown, she started as little more than a diminutive, blonde, gun-toting mama) and race-shift her, some people who were either identifying with or objectifying that character are going to have trouble processing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
...I never rejected the TV show--I watched it years before I picked up the books and found it decently entertaining, and definitely better than most SyFy productions (especially at that time).
Oh...Sorry, I guess I either misread or misinterpreted something in the first post?!?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote