View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
From what I see, your devices are updating to the new firmwares. Are you doing it through WIFI or the desktop? If it was with the desktop software, can you try through WIFI?
As of now, many people are connecting to Kobo's servers to get the newly released update. Maybe you're connecting at a busy time. I've had some sync trouble last week and I thought it was because of the high traffic.
I think you are missing the point. I didn't get through the setup so was unable to setup Wifi, and the problem happened after I ejected and disconnected from my pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I doubt you did anything wrong, bit of a coincidence to have two like that, but these things have happened to other people more than once. (One person got 3 or 4 bad kindles in a row IIRC)

I set both my Mini and Aura up without charging, so I doubt that is it.

Better luck with the next one.

Helen
I just spent about 2 hours "Chatting" online with Kobo help (can't be exact as the email from them with the "Chat Transcript" was.....blank !)
After the usual pinhole resets and factory resets all of which didn't work the Touch screen stubbornly stayed on the "Restarting" screen.
He then said that they advise customers to "pre-charge their ereaders for at least 4 hours before setting up".
I said that pre-charging was the most common sense thing to do with a new battery powered device but was not mentioned in the instruction leaflets with the ereaders until AFTER setting up and reading your first book, and foolishly I decided to follow Kobo's instructions. Also it is not mentioned at all in the Kobo "Getting Started" video, so where precisely does Kobo "advise their customers to charge their ereaders before set up" ?

After a delay he came back and admitted that they don't !

So when the replacement Mini arrives I shall charge it for 5 hours then try setting it up. If that doesn't work I'll get a Nook instead. At least I'll be able to read my DRM-free epubs.....I believe !

Last edited by mXb; 06-13-2013 at 01:07 PM.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote